Monday, November 13, 2006

Baked Bean and Egg Toasties

When Nandita's (of Saffron Trail) WBB#7 theme was Baking, I scratched my head. Because I like baking and have a few muffins, breads and cakes up my sleeve but I didn't think I would eat any of it for breakfast. Even the savoury ones I couldn't really see myself getting up in the morning and baking (and of course eating!).

Then I remembered! I had come across this recipe ages and ages ago (from an unremembered source) but I had modified it to suit my indian snacking needs. Instead of the baked beans and egg, I would make them with whatever curry was leftover in the fridge for unexpected guests. This was impressive enough for my guests! :)

So I thought I shall come back to the original authentic Aussie recipe. Baked beans is a true Aussie icon. So much so that when Shane Warne went to India in 1998 for World tour he couldn't live just plain old Indian food (please note the sarcasm!) that he had to get a pallet of baked beans to keep him happy. It is a typical Aussie breakfast to have this with toast. Baked beans is nothing much more than cooked navy beans in tomato sauce. So I guess this a twist to the average baked bean breakfast. Enjoy! :)

The recipe below is for one toasty so just make as many as you need. I used a muffin tray for this, but hindsight is a beautiful thing, and I think you are better off using small souffle bowls or a texan muffin pan.

Baked Bean and Egg Toasties

Ingredients
1 bread slice- a day old is preferable and crusts are to be removed.
2 tbsp baked beans- from the can or cooked navy beans mixed in tomato sauce.
1 egg
salt and pepper- to taste.

Method
  1. Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celcius.
  2. Wet the bread and squeeze out excess water. You may want to roll it out lightly othewise just pat with your hand.
  3. Now carefully line the souffle dish or muffin tray with the bread.
  4. Put in oven for about 15 mins or until the bread has started to regain its original texture.
  5. In each shell (still in muffin tray or dish), place about two spoons of baked beans and then crack an egg on top. Alternatively you can put some left over curry.
  6. Place in the oven for another 15 mins or until the egg has cooked. Or the curry has warmed up or crispy on top.
  7. Remove from dishes/muffin tray and serve with salt and pepper.


Labels: , , , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Menu Today said...

Hi praveena,
perfect Breakfast dish... It looks sooo nice. Thanks for sharing.

November 14, 2006 12:05 am  
Blogger FH said...

How clever and simple enough for a quick breakfast!! Classic egg and toast with a twist! Great job!!

November 14, 2006 2:19 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Praveena,

I never had bread and beans together. It looks just perfect...
Thanks for sharing such a nice recipe.

Madhavi.

November 14, 2006 9:24 am  
Blogger TNL said...

Wow...how creative!! I've always enjoyed beans on toast as a quick lunch...gotta try this!

November 14, 2006 10:42 am  
Blogger Jaya M said...

Hi Praveena ,
oh so nice innovations ,looks so yummy.

November 14, 2006 11:51 am  
Blogger Sia said...

wow praveena, very creative dish... always had baked beans with chips and toast...
cheers
supriya

November 15, 2006 7:00 am  
Blogger Praveena said...

MT,
Yes it is a typical breakfast combination.

Asha,
Thanks. It tastes good but a bit messy in the oven. But worth it.

Madhavi,
It is a typical western breakfast to have beans and toast together Madhavi.

Trupti,
Let me know how you go.

Mantu,
Thanks.

Supriya,
With chips? I haven't had that before. I shall try it.

November 15, 2006 7:58 am  
Blogger Hyderabadi's said...

very innovative,
thanks for sharing.

November 18, 2006 8:54 am  
Anonymous facebook covers said...

hi,
nice post great presentation with awesome pictures.

August 22, 2012 3:05 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home